Canon has announced two new telephoto prime lenses for the RF mount. The RF 400mm F2.8L IS USM and 600mm F4L IS USM have the same optical makeup as their EF-mount equivalents, with 17 elements in 13 groups, including one Super UD and two fluorite special elements, along with Super Spectra and Air Sphere coatings. Canon claims that the optical I.S. systems reduce camera shake by up to 5.5 stops regardless of which RF-mount body you’re using.
The minimum focus distance on the 400mm F2.8 is 2.5m (8.2 ft) and 4.2m (13.8 ft) on the 600mm F4. The maximum magnifications are 0.17x and 0.15x, respectively. Both support Canon’s RF 1.4x and 2x teleconverters.
As with all L-series lenses, the 400 and 600 are rugged and weather-sealed, and have a fluorine coating on the front element to repel oil and water.
The RF 400mm F2.8L and 600mm F4L will be available in July priced at $12,000 and $13,000, respectively.
- Ideal for a wide variety of shooting situations, including sports, aviation, trains, automotive, and wildlife, such as birding.
- Optical Image Stabilization with up to 5.5 stops of shake correction. Including three IS Operation Modes — still subjects, panning, and irregular movement.
- Proprietary Canon lens coatings, Super Spectra Coating (SSC), and Air Sphere Coating (ASC) help minimize ghosting and flaring. Lens placement and coatings are optimized to provide users with clear, high-contrast images even when there is a bright light source.
- Lenses include fluorite and super UD lens elements arranged in such a way to help correct chromatic aberration and make the models more compact. Like the latest Canon EF400mm f/2.8L IS III USM and EF600mm f/4L IS III USM lenses, released in the fall of 2018, weight on these RF-series super-telephotos has been significantly reduced vs. previous-generation Canon super tele designs.
- Compatible with Canon RF 1.4x and 2x extenders, and feature a customizable electronic focus ring, with manual focus capability during SERVO AF.
- A nine-blade circular aperture provides users beautiful bokeh and ideally blurred backgrounds when the aperture is stopped down.
- For added convenience when on a shoot, two focus presets are available. Users can instantly return to one of two memorized focus distances.
- Rugged Canon L-series dust and water-resistant design with vibration and shock resistance. The front element has been dressed with a fluorine coating for easy cleaning.
- Infrared reflective pigments with high reflectance and titanium oxide lens barrel coating with silica provide excellent UV weather resistance and heat reduction.
Canon RF Lenses Pricing and Availability
The Canon RF100mm F2.8 L Macro IS USM, Canon RF400mm F2.8 L IS USM and Canon RF600mm F4L IS USM are scheduled to be available in July 2021 for an estimated retail price of $1,399.00, $11,999.00 and $12,999.00, respectively*. For more information, please visit usa.canon.com.
 Based on CIPA (Camera & Imaging Products Association) standards. Testing performed using the EOS R camera.
|Canon RF 400mm F2.8L IS USM||Canon RF 600mm F4L IS USM|
|Lens type||Prime lens|
|Max Format size||35mm FF|
|Focal length||400 mm||600 mm|
|CIPA Image stabilization rating||5.5 stop(s)|
|Lens mount||Canon RF|
|Number of diaphragm blades||9|
|Special elements / coatings||1 Super UD + 2 fluorite elements, Super Spectra + ASC coatings|
|Minimum focus||2.50 m (98.43″)||4.20 m (165.35″)|
|Motor type||Ring-type ultrasonic|
|Full time manual||Yes|
|Focus distance limiter||Yes|
|Weight||2890 g (6.37 lb)||3090 g (6.81 lb)|
|Diameter||168 mm (6.61″)|
|Length||367 mm (14.45″)||472 mm (18.58″)|
|Filter thread||52 mm|
|Filter notes||Rear drop-in filters only|