UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab on Thursday said they welcomed news of a ceasefire in Israel and Gaza, after Israel and Hamas agreed to a truce proposed by Egypt.”Leaders in the region must now work to find a durable solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that prevents terrorism, ends the cycle of violence and delivers a sustainable and just peace,” Johnson tweeted.
“All sides must work to make the ceasefire durable and end the unacceptable cycle of violence and loss of civilian life,” Raab said in a tweet.The ceasefire was also welcomed by European Council President Charles Michel, who took to Twitter writing “Opportunity for peace and security for citizens must be seized.”
“Relief for the cease fire to end hostilities, a particular thought for those that were most affected throughout these days,” tweeted EU Ambassador to Israel Emanuele Giaufret. Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European Commission, welcomed the ceasefire deal and urged both sides to build on it.
“I urge both sides to consolidate it and stabilize the situation in the long term. Only a political solution will bring lasting peace and security to all,” Von der Leyen tweeted.
The ceasefire took effect 2 a.m. Friday morning. Since then, no rockets have been fired.